The addition of browned butter brings out the caramelized sweetness in these chocolate chunk cookies while imparting nutty notes to every bite. Crushed mini-egg candies finish off this sweet Easter treat!
Browned Butter, Mini Egg, and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes about 20 cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 1 large egg yolk (19 grams)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 2¾ cups (344 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 grams) baking soda
- 1 cup (163 grams) crushed candy-coated milk chocolate eggs
- 1 cup (163 grams) chocolate chunks
- ¾ cup (157 grams) lightly crushed candy-coated milk chocolate eggs, divided
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and pour into a medium bowl. Place bowl in a large bowl full of ice water. Let cool, stirring every 5 minutes, until butter solidifies.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat browned butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, kosher salt, and baking soda. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Beat in 1 cup (about 163 grams) crushed chocolate eggs and chocolate chunks. Using a 2½-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough, and place on prepared pan. Top dough scoops lightly with crushed chocolate eggs. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Rotate pans, and bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes more. Immediately top with remaining lightly crushed chocolate eggs, and garnish with flaked salt, if desired.
If you don’t have chocolate chunks, feel free to use whatever chocolate chips you have on hand.
The post Browned Butter, Mini Egg, and Chocolate Chunk Cookies appeared first on Bake from Scratch.