The secret to these fluffy, tangy doughnuts? Sourdough discard-enriched dough. Plus, we give you two indulgent fillings to mix and match—our homemade Berry Jam and our berry-scented crème fraîche-so you can choose your own doughnut experience.
Berry-Filled Sourdough Discard Doughnuts
Makes about 12 doughnuts
- ¼ cup (60 grams) warm water (105°F/40°C to 110°F/43°C)
- 1 package (14 grams) active dry yeast
- 6 cups (750 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup (240 grams) warm milk (105°F/40°C to 110°F/43°C)
- ¾ cup (188 grams) sourdough starter discard, room temperature
- 3 cups (600 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups (340 grams) Berry Crème Fraîche (recipe follows) or ½ cup (148 grams) Berry Jam (recipe follows)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together ¼ cup (60 grams) warm water and yeast by hand. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups (375 grams) flour, warm milk, sourdough discard, ½ cup (100 grams) sugar, eggs, butter, and salt, and beat at medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in enough remaining 3 cups (375 grams) flour, starting with around 1 cup (125 grams), until a soft dough forms. (Dough will be sticky.) Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly punch down dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll to ½-inch thickness. Using a 3¼-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough, and place 1½ inches apart on prepared pans. Loosely cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Place remaining 2½ cups (500 grams) sugar in a shallow dish. In a skillet or deep fryer, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°F (180°C).
- Fry doughnuts, two at a time, until golden brown, 1½ to 2 minutes, turning every 30 seconds. Transfer hot doughnuts to sugar, turning to coat. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using a small knife, cut a slit in the side of each doughnut. Place Berry Crème Fraîche or Berry Jam in a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe filling into doughnuts. Serve immediately.
Berry Crème Fraîche
- 1 cup (240 grams) cold crème fraîche
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (30 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (53 grams) Berry Jam (recipe follows)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat all ingredients at high speed until mixture thickens and holds its shape, 1 to 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 18 ounces (510 grams) fresh blackberries (about 3½ cups)
- 14 ounces (397 grams) fresh blueberries (about 2⅔ cups)
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 grams) almond liqueur
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- In the container of a blender, process blackberries until puréed. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, discarding seeds. Place 1⅔ cups (400 grams) blackberry juice in a medium Dutch oven. Add blueberries, sugar, almond liqueur, and vanilla bean and reserved seeds, stirring to combine. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bring berry mixture to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened and jam leaves a trace when a spoon is dragged across bottom of pot, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 1 hour. Transfer jam to a clean jar. Jam will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
The post Berry-Filled Sourdough Discard Doughnuts appeared first on Bake from Scratch.