This luscious chocolate cake is a showstopper due to two secret ingredients: Blue Plate Mayonnaise and New England Coffee. Blue Plate Mayonnaise gives this chocolate cake luxurious crumb while a dark roast New England Coffee enhances the rich cocoa flavor. A dreamy chocolate frosting doubles down on the decadence, making this the ultimate cocoa extravagance.
Chocolate Coffee Mayo Cake
- 1⅓ cups (320 grams) hot brewedNew England Coffee
- ¾ cup (64 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⅔ cups (367 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- 1 cup (206 grams) Blue Plate Mayonnaise, room temperature
- 2½ cups (250 grams) sifted cake flour
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 grams) baking powder
- Creamy Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, whisk together coffee and cocoa until completely combined. Let stand until mostly cooled, about 30 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat brown sugar and eggs at high speed until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add mayonnaise, and beat until combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 28 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Level cooled cake layers, if desired; discard parchment. Place a cake layer on a cake plate. Spread 1½ cups (412 grams) Creamy Chocolate Frosting on cake layer; top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake.
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
Makes about 5 cups
- 8 ounces (227 grams) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 7½ cups (900 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (240 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- In the top of a double boiler, combine chocolate and butter. Cook over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; let cool for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat confectioners’ sugar, sour cream, and vanilla at low speed until smooth and well combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until well combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Use immediately.
The post Chocolate Coffee Mayo Cake appeared first on Bake from Scratch.