This richly spiced oat pie is like a nut-free take on the classic pecan pie. A gooey oat-packed filling is poured into an aromatic cinnamon piecrust and baked to golden perfection. A final swoop of Whiskey Whipped Cream brings on an extra touch of decadence.
Spiced Honey-Oat Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- Cinnamon Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- 11⁄3 cups (125 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 2⁄3 cup (147 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 11⁄4 teaspoons (3.75 grams) kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (170 grams) light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons (84 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup (113 grams) clover honey
- 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) whiskey
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs (200 grams), room temperature
- Whiskey Whipped Cream (recipe follows), to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Let Cinnamon Pie Dough stand at room temperature until softened, 10 to 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle; press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired; freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Top Cinnamon Pie Dough with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of plate. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake until dry and set, about 10 minutes more, lightly covering edges with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place oats on prepared pan.
- Bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool completely on pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (170°C); position oven rack in lower third of oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Add corn syrup, melted butter, honey, whiskey, and vanilla; whisk until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Stir toasted oats into brown sugar mixture; pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake until filling is set and slightly puffed and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 200°F (93°C), 40 to 45 minutes, loosely covering crust with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with Whiskey Whipped Cream.
Cinnamon Pie Dough
Makes 1 (9-inch) crust
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon (1.5 grams) ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) ice water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon; pulse 4 times to combine. Add cold butter; pulse until butter cubes are almond-sized. With processor running, pour 3 tablespoons (45 grams) ice water through food chute in a slow, steady stream until combined. Pulse until dough just forms a ball.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a disk; wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Whiskey Whipped Cream
Makes about 2½ cups
- 1 cup (240 grams) cold heavy whipping cream
- 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) whiskey
- 1 tablespoon (21 grams) clover honey
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat all ingredients at medium-high speed until medium-stiff peaks form. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The post Spiced Honey-Oat Pie appeared first on Bake from Scratch.