Who’s ready for a brunch item that packs a taste of the tropics? Our fluffy, baked cake doughnuts still bring plenty of crunch, courtesy of a generous sprinkling of toasted flaked coconut. Unsweetened coconut milk helps lighten the batter while coconut extract drives home that essential coconut flavor.
Coconut Cake Doughnuts
Makes 6 doughnuts
- ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (73 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled for 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups (156 grams) unbleached cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) full-fat unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (45 grams) water, room temperature
- Coconut Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: lightly toasted or untoasted sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Butter and flour a 6-well doughnut pan*.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugars and egg at medium speed until lightened in color and well combined, 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add melted butter, oil, and extracts; beat at medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another small bowl, whisk together coconut milk and 3 tablespoons (45 grams) room temperature water. With mixer on medium-low speed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with coconut milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until smooth and combined after each addition and stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Spoon half of batter (about 1 cup [277 grams]) into a large pastry bag; cut a ½-inch opening in tip. Pipe batter evenly into prepared wells, refilling bag as necessary. (Use a paper clip or binder clip to hold pastry bag tip shut when refilling with batter.) Firmly tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter several times to settle batter and release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert doughnuts onto a wire rack placed over a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and let cool completely.
- Dip 1 doughnut halfway into Coconut Glaze; lift straight out, and swirl in a circular motion, letting excess drip off. Quickly turn and place, glaze side up, on wire rack. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Garnish with coconut, if desired. Serve immediately.
*We used a Nordic Ware Classic Donut Pan.
- 1¼ cups (150 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2½ tablespoons (46 grams) cream of coconut
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) full-fat unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth and well combined. Use immediately.
The post Coconut Cake Doughnuts appeared first on Bake from Scratch.