We don’t hold back in this Milk Chocolate Sheet Cake. Filled with decadent
milk chocolate and covered in creamy Whipped Chocolate Frosting, this soft crumbed
cake gets a double dose of sweet chocolate indulgence. For an extra springy touch, add chocolate curls and candy-coated milk chocolate eggs for a bright pop of color.
Milk Chocolate Sheet Cake
Makes 1 (13×9-inch) cake
- 6 ounces (170 grams) 45% cacao milk chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups (300 grams) granulated sugar
- 1½ cups (360 grams) water
- 1¼ cups (275 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar*
- ¾ cup (180 grams) whole milk
- ⅓ cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 grams) sour cream
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons (6 grams) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose fl our
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- Whipped Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chocolate curls, candy-coated milk chocolate eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, place chopped chocolate and butter.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, 1½ cups (360 grams) water, brown sugar, and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to make sure sugar dissolves. Whisk in cocoa. Pour sugar mixture over chocolate mixture, and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted and mixture is combined. Whisk in sour cream, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to chocolate mixture, whisking just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- Using excess parchment as handles, remove cooled cake from pan. Spread Whipped Chocolate Frosting on top as desired. Garnish with chocolate curls and chocolate eggs, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
We used C&H® Light Brown Sugar.
Whipped Chocolate Frosting
Makes about 6 cups
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups (600 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup (43 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ cup (60 grams) whole milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and salt. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar mixture to butter, beating until combined. Add milk, and beat at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Use immediately.