Gingerbread houses have nothing on our December Bundt of the Month, a gorgeous Gingerbread Streusel Bundt Cake! To make this delectable treat, a batter baked with molasses and holiday spices is layered with a double dose of crumbly spiced streusel. Our cozy cake is sweetened with dark brown sugar, softly accented with almond extract, and highlighted with citrusy orange zest, while the streusel is made with bright flavors of ginger and orange zest for a wintry surprise in each bite. With a holiday pairing like this, our cake is destined to be the center of attention during your season of cheer. Baked in the new Nordic Ware Very Merry Bundt® Pan, this merry and bright Bundt paints the scene of a festive winter wonderland with presents under decorated trees. A stunning new addition to Nordic Ware’s lineup of beautiful Bundt pans, the Very Merry Bundt Pan is sure to make your holiday season spectacular. With a final touch of confectioners’ sugar dusted on top for extra flair, this cake is the gift that keeps on giving.
Looking for more Bundt inspiration? Sign up for the Bundt of the Month Club here and get baking today!
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups (293 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- ½ cup (170 grams) unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon (7 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) almond extract
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) ground allspice
- ½ cup (120 grams) whole buttermilk, room temperature
- Spiced Streusel (recipe follows)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined after each addition. Beat in molasses, orange zest, and almond extract until well combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, and allspice. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. (Batter may have a little texture.)
- Spray a 10-cup Very Merry Bundt Pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon two-thirds of batter (about 3½ cups or 808 grams) into prepared pan. Firmly tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter 5 to 6 times to settle batter and release any air bubbles. Using the back of a spoon, make a ½-inch-deep, 1-inch-wide trench in center of batter in pan, leaving about a ¼-inch border around edges. Sprinkle ⅔ cup (88 grams) Spiced Streusel in trench, making sure it does not touch sides of pan. Lightly press on streusel to make sure it is even and flat. Spoon remaining batter on top of streusel in small dollops. Firmly tap pan on a kitchen towel-lined counter 5 to 6 times to settle batter and release any air bubbles (batter might pop as air is release from streusel filling). Sprinkle remaining Spiced Streusel on top of batter, trying not to touch sides of pan.
- Bake until golden brown, a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, and an instant-read thermometer inserted near center registers 200°F (93°C), 45 minutes to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.
- ½ cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (5 grams) tightly packed orange zest
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, salt, and ginger. Add cold butter, and using your fingertips, work butter into flour mixture until no large chunks remain. Using your hands, squeeze mixture and crumble until uniform in texture. (Mixture will look sandy.) Refrigerate until ready to use.
A Streusel Strategy –
We show you how to layer your streusel into the center and on the bottom of your Bundt!